Monday 6 October 2014

First English Class with Ms Wagner

I am Ms. Wagner and am a teacher upgrading my qualifications. For the next six weeks I will be teaching in Mr. Davis' English class.

Today, we began by telling stories. We then discussed some of the elements of a good story, such as, relatable subject, humour, engaging story line and so forth. From there we discussed issues of stereotyping and misconceptions and how these can be shared in the form of stories. We discussed stereotypes both in the school and in society.

We the watched a 10 minute clip called, The Power of Outrospection. Philosopher and author Roman Krznaric explains how we can help drive social change by stepping outside ourselves. He noted the importance of "cognitive empathy," which he refers to as perspective taking; the ability to step into another persons shoes in order to understand their world view. To close I asked if you would write me some comments about what you learned from the video. I have received most of these comments and am pleased with your insights for the most part. Please take the opportunity to watch it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment